Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

OMG!!!!!


Oh yeah, this is REAL! I almost don't have to say anything with this photo, but I'm sure you all want to know the story behind it.

This evening, Brad called to tell me he was on his way home (as he does every evening) and asked how the kids were doing and if they had a good day (which he also does every evening). I said, "They're doing great, just playing nicely together in the playroom." I had been in the living room working on some music stuff for this weekend and hadn't been in to check on them in probably 10 minutes or so (I know, shoot me). They weren't suspiciously quiet, as is typical when they're up-to-no-good, so I didn't think anything of it. In fact, I could hear Tori jibber-jabbering and babbling away at a toy. I was already on my way in to check on them when Brad said, "You better go check on them." "Playing nicely" apparently sounded suspicious to him!

So, I walk in to the above image of Tori on top of Mount Everest just "talking" away to a toy that perches atop these toy bins like it's just all in a day's work. I lost my breath for a second and (still on the phone with Brad) said, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! You are not going to believe where your daughter is!!!" After I explained where my little daredevil was, we both agreed to hang up so I could get on to the little monkey (but not before taking this picture with my camera phone, of course!).

I shudder to think how long she could have been up there and I was praising God that she didn't lose her balance and fall! That top shelf is a good 3 feet off the ground. When we originally put these pieces together, Brad and I wondered then if this might become a jungle gym. Now there's no more wondering. It happened.

So, now it's time to come up with a solution. Anyone got any good ideas on how to make this safer? Here are a few I've come up with so far... leave a comment and vote on your favorite or offer a great one of your own!

1) Separate the entire unit into two separate stair-stepping units and place on different walls. Might deter climbing, might not.

2) Just go with it. Add safety rails to create a climbing toy? Ummm, not so much.

3) Um. Okay. So maybe I don't have any real solid ideas..... that's where all you creative folk come in handy! Put your thinking caps on and leave me a comment or (for the shy type) shoot me an email.

This one cracks me up... it's almost like Tanner is totally oblivious to the fact that his wild sister is three feet above his head! ha!

Have I mentioned that I think this girl is going to give us a run for our money? She is something else!

5 comments:

The Houston's said...

This is hysterical! Ethan was a major climber too.
Maybe if you put something on top of each of the lowest shelves that is too big for them to climb around and too heavy for them to move, that would discourage them from climbing up? Just an idea....

Morrow14 said...

LOL!! This is classic! I just told Brad that I especially like how her foot and leg are hanging off the edge in the second picture. I agree with "the houston's" on this one. If you can block off the lower steps, it solves the problem. Perhaps turning them the other way, creating a "V" shape and then "boarding off" the bottom would be helpful? However, whats the fun in that...I'm seeing an opportunity here to "encourage creativity and exploration!" Picture a nice soft foam cushion and a spring board for that extra "boost!" What...no?...I know, I know...Uncle Donny just lost his supervisory privileges with the children. ;-)

Hayley McCarthy said...

She looks very comfortable up there!

Reneau said...

OMG!! OMG!!! Even though it's so dangerous, she looks precious up there!! ha ha!! I laughed when I saw the pic come up!

Reneau said...

OMG!! OMG!!! She looks so cute up there!!! Scary!! But so cute!!