Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Please Pray

Yes, it's true. My sweet babies are 8 months old today and I was looking forward to posting a cheery update about this milestone, but we've been completely side swept by a tragedy this weekend. I'm utterly devastated. I can hardly find the words to express my thoughts at the moment, but I will do my best.

A friend that Brad has known since his youth lost her life today at the vibrant age of 35, suddenly and unexpectedly, due to a brain aneurysm. The aneurysm is believed to have been caused by a birth defect that had gone undetected. She was a well-known, well-loved and well-respected member of the community and a huge part of Fellowship Church, where she was on staff and was a fellow worship leader. Please lift up the Whitwell and Hunt families in prayer as they attempt to come to terms with this great loss and continue on with their lives without their beloved Vanessa.

I have such a hard time understanding these types of things. I know it's not my place to question God and I'm certainly not supposed to understand why certain things happen the way they do, but to see someone so beautiful, young, perfectly healthy and making such an impact in the lives around her be taken from this earth at such an early age is beyond me and for it to happen without warning, so devastatingly. It reminds me so much of my four cousins that were killed in a car accident back in 1998, during my senior year of high school. They were driving home from a Friday night football game and were hit head-on by a drunk driver. Three of them died instantly and the oldest died in a helicopter being airlifted to a hospital. They were ages 19, 17, 13 and 11.... they were so full of promise and had so much life ahead of them. You just never know. We have to be ready at any moment for it to be our last. We have to enjoy each moment and not waste a single breath. Times like these really cause me to reflect on my own life and the lives of those around me that I love and cherish. I hope God would be pleased with me - I hope I haven't wasted too much of what He's given me because I am so grateful for every BIT of it!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a little and share this news with you. Please pray for Vanessa's family. She leaves behind a husband (no children) and countless other adoring family and friends. She will be greatly missed by everyone that knew her in this life, but we rejoice that her eternal life has now begun and she is with her Heavenly Father! I cannot even begin to imagine how happy she must be at this moment! Having that assurance and that hope is the ONLY thing that can make a tragedy like this bearable.

God bless you all... go squeeze your loved ones extra tight tonight!

Love, Leah

P.S. Don't worry, I will update on babies at a more appropriate time... stay tuned.

4 comments:

Toby E. said...

Wow! Soooo close to home for me. I will pray for them!! And for you and Brad. Like you said, we don't understand God's plan, but do remember it is His plan. Your friend was here a short time, but what is more improtant is it sounds like she used that time and made an impact. Some of us may live much longer and not make such an impact. Also remember, she is where we all ultimately want to be, living with God in all his glory. Know it's ok to grieve, but take comfort in that! My thoughts and prayers are with you all!!

Jess said...

Thank you for sharing this. I was friends with Leslie back in my Bethesda days. We will for sure be praying!

Alli Byers said...

Brad and Leah-- I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I will be keeping everyone in my prayers affected by this tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.